Legal aid in West Yorkshire
The government provides funding for legal aid to help people protect their basic rights and get a fair hearing, access to the court process to sort out disputes and solve problems that contribute to social exclusion.
Legal aid helps with the cost of legal advice for those who cannot afford it.
Eligibility for legal aid is decided upon the following:
- The type of legal problem
- Your income and capital
- The merits of your case, this meaning the chances of winning your case and whether it is worth the time and money needed to win
- Your husband, wife or partner’s disposable income and capital will also be taken into account
Levels of legal aid
- Legal help – initial advice and help with problems
- Help at court
- Family mediation
- Family help – help with negotiations and obtaining court orders
- Legal representation – a barrister or solicitor to represent you in court